Life Extension BioActive Folate & Vitamin B12 90 Count
- Brand: Life Extension
- Product Code: LifeExtension09
- Availability: In Stock
2 or more -5%
BioActive Folate & Vitamin B12
Support your nervous system, red blood cells, brain and heart with this Folate and Vitamin B12!
| 90 Vegetarian Capsules | 1 per serving | non-GMO |
BioActive Folate & Vitamin B12:
- Supports the aging brain and promotes nerve cell growth
- Supports heart health
- Helps maintain normal production rates of red blood cells
Support adequate folate and vitamin B12 levels and support normal brain and cognitive function, and support heart health, as well as normal production rates of red blood cells.
Why it Works:
With aging, absorption of vitamin B12 from dietary sources typically declines, why it can be important for older people to take supplements of Vitamin B12. Although folate is found in abundance in leafy green vegetables, you may still be in need of vitamin B12 supplementation if you are a vegetarian.
Maintaining adequate folate levels is necessary for healthy cell division and protein synthesis and it is especially important for the maintenance of a healthy gastrointestinal tract (GI tract). The need for folate increases in certain states in which increased cell multiplication is needed. Sustained usage of medications such as aspirin in therapeutic doses and antacids can interfere with the metabolism of folate .
Folate participates in a coenzyme reaction that synthesizes DNA which is needed for cell growth and new cell formation. Folate also helps convert vitamin B12 to one of its coenzyme forms [2-5]. Vitamin B12 is found in many types of food of animal origin which includes dairy products and eggs. Therefore, vegetarians are more susceptible to a dietary deficiency of Vitamin B12.
The Science Behind the Product:
BioActive Folate and Vitamin B12 capsules contain the biologically active forms of folate as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate and vitamin B12 as methylcobalamin.
- 5-MTHF is the metabolically active form of folic acid. 5-MTHF is used by the body and does not require metabolic conversion or activation. 5-MTHF has been demonstrated to be seven times more bioavailable than folic acid. 5-MTHF can cross the blood-brain barrier which enables 5-MTHF to provide benefits to neurological system.
- Methylcobalamin is the bioactive form of B12 that is utilized in the body and the central nervous system.
Elevated levels of the amino acid homocysteine are a major threat to an aging person’s health. It can increase the risk for cardiovascular disorders such as heart attack and stroke . Folate is defined to be effective in diminishing homocysteine levels .
How to Use:
- Take one (1) capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- J Lab Clin Med. 1984 Jun;103(6):944-8.
- BMC Dev Biol. 2003 Jul 29;3(1):6.
- Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol. 2001;67:131-62.
- J Nutr Biochem. 2013 Jan 15. pii: S0955-2863(12)00281-1.
- Clin Nutr. 2012 Dec 28. pii: S0261-5614(12)00280-4.
- Verhoef P, Kok FJ, Kruyssen DA, et al. Plasma total homocysteine, B vitamins, and risk of coronary atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997 May;17(5):989-95.
- Venn BJ, Green TJ, Moser R, Mann JI. Comparison of the effect of low-dose supplementation with L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate or folic acid on plasma homocysteine: a randomized placebo-controlled study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Mar;77(3):658-62.
|Ingredients||Folate (as L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate calcium salt) 400 mcg/ capsule; Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 300 mcg/ capsule; Other ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, silica, vegetable stearate. Non-GMO|